8.03.2010

Oh you can't get to heaven cross the Brooklyn Bridge... you've gotta cross the dam at Laurel Ridge!

I thought about waiting to post until tomorrow (since I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning), but I decided I would go ahead and at least update on the past several weeks. And tomorrow, if I have the time, I will update on the doctor’s appointment in a separate post.

Since my last post… Dusty and I went on our annual “vacation” to Laurel Ridge for Sr. High camp. This year was obviously a little different than the past 5 years we’ve been on the mountain… since I’m now 7 months pregnant!

I had been given some great advice before heading up the mountain from a girl who had been there the previous month (who was also 7 months along in her pregnancy). So, I felt pretty prepared. But family and friends telling me I was tough (or crazy) for thinking about it made me a little anxious. The heat factor was something that I was extremely worried about ahead of time too! I mean, it’s typically 10 degrees cooler on the mountain than here in Clemson or in Winston, but even in the 80s… living without air conditioning for a week of your pregnancy isn’t something that most people willingly put themselves through. I was determined to be there though!

I was told ahead of time that I wouldn’t have a small group. Brad was looking out for me, and while I wasn’t exactly excited about that at first… it really ended up being a blessing! I didn’t sleep well – thanks to several factors like snoring cabin mates, constantly being hot, uncomfortable beds, and sweet pea thought it would be fun to play after lights out. So, not having a small group allowed me to have a morning nap time every morning! My campers were pretty quiet during free time too. So, again, there was a little extra time devoted to making up for sleep from the night before. The heat wasn’t THAT bad… until probably Thursday or so. And even then… it was bearable sitting outside in the shade.

It was great to be on the mountain though. The counseling staff got along well together. And it makes my heart happy to see familiar faces and spend time with friends that I miss. Everyone agreed that the campers this year were great. Above all… God was clearly present at Sr. High Camp.

Laurel Ridge is such a significant place to us. Laurel Ridge is the place where we met. It’s the place that we both came to a year later, open to God’s call on our lives and simply ready to serve and ended the summer together. It was on the same mountain that Dusty asked me to marry him. And no matter how crazy a week at camp seems, it’s the place we return every summer to refuel and give back.

Dusty and I joked about how sweet pea will be able to say that she has been coming to camp since she was in the womb! And my prayer as I look back at the time we have shared there – this summer and in the years past – is that it will continue to bring joy and life to our growing family and others that get to experience the mountain top experience of being that much closer to God. As one counselor so clearly puts it… God lives at Laurel Ridge!

No comments: