9.29.2010

39.5 week appt -- we're getting closer!

Being the first appointment after lunch definitely has its advantages! The wait was pretty short, and I was in and out of there and back at work within 30 minutes!

The normal procedures happened again… urine sample, blood pressure (129/87) and weight were all checked. Then it was back to an exam room to undress from the waist down and wait to be “checked” again. Dr. Shelley came in, measured, and listened to the heart-rate with the Doppler. After saying that everything looked good… she got ready to check my cervix.

There was still “a little pressure” this time around… but it didn’t feel as uncomfortable as last week. When she finished she reported that I was 1 cm, 90% effaced, and the baby’s head was at -2. I kindly asked her to explain… to which she said that I had completely dilated to 1 cm; my cervix has thinned out to nearly nothing, and the baby’s head has dropped significantly and is in the pelvic area. So there has been great progress since last week! My follow-up question was… when’s she coming? Dr. Shelley laughed and said she didn’t know, but it could be any time. She reported that she told a patient the same thing yesterday at 2:30, and this morning when she checked charts online, she noticed that same patient had delivered overnight!

Before I left, I had her look over my birth plan. Most everything on there seemed fine, and she even gave me a suggestion for a birthing position that seemed to work best for alleviating pain. With that checked, she said she would go ahead and make an appointment for next week. But we somewhat joked about her coming this weekend! I told her that I have guessed she would come October 1. So, she mentioned that it would work well for her schedule, but if baby didn’t come by then… she would see me next week at my appointment.

Here’s hoping that the current tropical depression and low pressure it brings will allow us to meet sweet pea this weekend as opposed to possibly needing to be induced later!

No comments: